Subject: OpelGL layout mode
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 15:16:34 -0700

I stopped by NAB again today (closing day of the show) specifically
to catch a LW 5.0 demo at N-n-n-n-n-newtek's booth. I wasn't
disappointed.

I don't use LW professionally, I just piddle around with it on
my Amigas from time to time. 

When I saw Brad Peebler dragging lights around in Layout and
watching them cast on a scene in real time as he moved them
around, well that just knocked me out. He did it quite a few times,
in fact, to make sure everyone got the point :)

He spent most of his 20 minute demo on the Nurbs feature, and was
quite proficient at it, starting with a cube and turning it
first into blow dryer and then into a rabbit-type head, with just
a few minutes of mushing the "clay" around, and that too was
impressive, but not nearly as much as the real time moving
lights in layout. The first time I saw something like that was
at a SIGGRAPH or NCGA conference a few years ago when it was
being done on megabucks Apollo workstations.  Seeing it happen
in Lightwave's Layout was even more impressive.

Harv                                       |  "Do you recognize the
[email-masked]                        |  Bell of Truth when you
http://www.portal.com/~harv                |  hear it ring?"
R.I.P. eWorld (1995-96)                    |  - Leon Russell